Whether you’re deciding to have an implant or already had one placed, you maybe wondering the best way to help your implant heal or how long it will take to heal.
Let us go through a few things to guide you through your implant recovery process.
Once your implant has been placed, your jaw bone will need time to heal and to integrete with the implant, this is crucial to the implant being successful. So, it is important that you be kind to your body and take the necessary steps to help recovery.
- The most important step to care for your implant is to completely leave it alone for the following 2 weeks after the surgery. Do not poke or prod or try to stretch or pull the skin/cheek around it to have a look, this may cause irritation and inflammation to the area. It is also recommended to eat softer foods and try staying away from the implant area for that first 2 weeks.
- After having your implant placed, you usually do not experience a great deal of pain after the surgery. You may have discomfort, slight swelling and tenderness for 1-2 days after the surgery.For this we recommend some paracetamol and ibuprofen for relief. We will follow up with you the day after your surgery to see how you are getting on. A follow up appointment with your dentist to check over the implant site will be scheduled. If you a have any questions or concerns within this time please do not hesitate to get in touch with your dentist.
- Take lots of fluids, the body recovers best if you can replenish with lost of fluids in the 3-4 days after surgery.
- Recovery time can differ person to person, some are back to work on the day of surgery while some people can take 1-2 days to recuperate. It is important to take care and give your body time to recover after the procedure .We do advise to avoid any strenuous work/exercise for those first 1-2 days after the surgery.
- Keeping up with your oral hygiene is also important. Continue to brush as normal being extra gentle around the implant area. Your dentist will give you some Savacol to start rinsing two times per day after your surgery. Having a glass of water after each meal will also help clear the area of any leftover foods.
Your dentist will let you know when the implant will be ready for the crown restoration. This usually is around 12 weeks after your surgery, this can sometimes be slightly longer if your jaw bone needs more time to recover.
If you have any more questions regarding the implant treatments, please free to call us at 04-5662211 and one of our dentists will be happy to explain the implant treatment in detail with you or send us a message here
We are always happy to help new and existing patients with their queries.