If you are thinking about teeth whitening, there are many factors that can contribute to tooth discolouration such as your morning cup of tea or coffee, or ending the day with your favourite glass of red wine or other dark coloured beverage, along with aging and smoking, even certain medications and foods can all play a part.
How do you achieve a whiter, brighter and more confident smile. Sometimes a simple visit to your dentist, or your dental hygienist can give you a healthy cleaner looking smile. Your dentist will do regular check-ups and help with your overall oral health and your hygienist can do a scale and polish to remove the tartar deposits and stains, thus helping you achieve a healthy mouth.
If you would like to maintain a whiter smile after visiting the dentist, you can do the following to avoid staining your teeth:
- Flossing Your Teeth
For some reason, flossing doesn’t come as easily to people as brushing. Though many dentists and hygienists agree that flossing is just as important as brushing. Floss daily for the best, teeth-saving results. Just flossing can easily remove the staining between your teeth, helping them to look whiter.
OR off the shelf products such as
- Whitening toothpaste
Colgate Optic White can help remove some staining and you can recognise a difference in shade within a week of up to about 3 shades max. It is best not to use these kinds of products for a long period of time as they can be highly abrasive.
But for those who are wanting a more dramatic shade difference, having a consultation with your dentist for teeth whitening options is the way to go.
There are a couple of common choices your dentist can offer which is usually either a take home bleaching kit or the in office teeth whitening option. Whitening products use hydrogen peroxide or carbamide peroxide, which causes a chemical reaction that, breaks apart the carbon bonds that create yellow stains. Once the bonds are broken, they no longer reflect a yellow colour and give you the bright white smile.
Colgate Optic-white take home kit
With the Colgate Optic-white take home kit, you can carry out the bleaching in the comfort of your own home or wherever you happen to be, day or night .
- The Dentist will take impressions of your teeth
- They will then create a customised bleaching tray
- The Dentist will advise you the best way to use your take home kit
They will schedule follow up appointments to ensure you are happy with your results.
Having your own bleaching tray tailor made to your teeth allows the whitening gel to closely contact your tooth enamel to produce an overall consistent, whiter smile.
Typically with this option you can start to notice a difference in shade in just 3 days.
Things to Consider
In some instances there may be mild sensitivity just let your Dentist know if this happens and they can advise the best solution.
Zoom whitening treatment
The Zoom whitening treatment is carried out in office by your dentist and results from this option can be immediate (up to 8 shades whiter in 45 minutes) all you have to do is sit back and relax.
- Sit down and relax
- Your Dentist will take impressions of your teeth to create custom bleaching trays
- They will take before photos and note down your “before shade”
- Your Dentist covers your gums with a protective barrier
- They then apply the stain fighting gel
- They set the accelerator light – which increases whitening results by an amazing 40%
- They will take after photos to show the full impact of your results .
- Your Dentist will schedule a follow-up appointment to ensure you are happy with your results.
This option is best for those wanting fast results maybe for a particular function or upcoming event. The process is safe, reliable and hassle free and completed by a dental professional
With either of the appointments your dentist will give you pointers on maintaining your brand new smile:
- Avoiding stain-causing foods and beverages like black coffee, tea,red wine, sports drinks, fizzy drinks,hard candy, curries, berries and tomato sauce
- Using a straw when drinking beverages to keep stain-causing dyes away from your teeth.
- Quit smoking, smoking tobacco can cause teeth to become discoloured
To book your teeth whitening consultation fill in the form here